The Department for Welfare of Minorities and Other Backward Classes, Manipur was established on 30/7/1998 for the welfare of Minorities and OBCs. The main objective for the establishment of MOBC is to take up measures to protect the interests of the Minorities and the Other Backward Classes Communities and also to take up Welfare programmes/schemes for Minorities and Other Backward Classes in the State.
The main objectives is to take up measures to protect the interest of the Minorities and OBC communities and to take up welfare programmes/schemes of the State. During the Eleventh Plan period due emphasis is given to the enhancement of the Socio-economic conditions, continuation of Post-Matric and Pre-Matric Scholarship to OBC students, Construction of OBC Hostels, Coaching programmes for professional and remedial coaching. Recently Ministry of Minority Affairs, Government of India launched special Programmes for Minority communities. Accordingly Programmes like Multisectoral Development Programmes for Minority Concentrated Districts, Pre-Matric Scholarship, Post-Matric Scholarship, Merit cum Means based Scholarship to Minority students are also started implementing.
As per the Government of Manipur notification dated 22nd April, 2000 (Click Here for Notification) . relating Bussines of Government of Manipur (Allocation) (Twenty third Amendment )Rules, 2000, Department for welfare of Minority and Other Backward Classes which was inserted at SL No. 38 will look after all matters relating to the welfare of the Minorities and Other Backward Classes of the State as detailed below :
(1) MINORITIES :
- Social,Educational and Economics Development Works for Minorities;
- Works related to policies of Government of India for Minorities and implementation of its policies and programmes;
- All works related to National Commission for minorities;(transferred from TribaL Develpoment).
- All works related to National Minorities Development & Finance Corporation;(transferred from TD/MTDC).
- Works related to Voluntary Orgnisations for Minorities;(transferred from TD).
- Implementation of P.M.'s 15 points programme;(transferred from TD).
- All Works related to State Wakf Board and Central Wakf Council;(transferred from law Department).
- All works related to Haj; (transferred from Home Department).
- All works related to Linguistic Minorities and implementations of recommendation of Commissioner Linguistic Minorities, Government of India.
- Any other related matters for Welfare of Minorities.
OTHER BACKWARD CLASSES :
- Social,Educational and Economics Development Works for OBC;
- Implementation of policies and programmes of GOI related to OBC;
- All works related to National Backward Classes Commission;(transferred from TD/MTDC).
- All works related to National Backward Classes Finance and Development Corporation; (transferred from TD/MTDC)
- Supervision of employement and resevation related to OBC;
- Aid and co-operation with NGOs for welfare of OBC .
- Any other related works forwelfare of OBC .
Review of the First 3(three) years of Eleventh Plan:-
- Construction of 1(one) no. of Hostel each for OBC Boys’ and Girls’ at D.M. College of Science and Ideal Girls’ at Akampat is completed and is ready for handing over to the respective college authority.
- Construction of 1(one) No. of Muslim Girls’ Hostel at Hafiz Hatta is in progress. The hostel is built under state Plan as well as SPA(Rs. 100.00 lakhs).
- Providing Scholarship to OBC students under Post-Matric Scholarship(100% Central share) continued benefiting .20348 OBC students had benefited during the first 2(two) years of 11th Plan Target for 2009-10 is to benefit 11760 OBC students.
- Providing Scholarship to OBC students under Pre-Matric Scholarship(50:50)- State share :Central share) continued benefiting 113464 OBC students Target for 2009-10 is to benefit 55000 OBC students.
- Post-Matric Scholarship to Minority Students under Ministry of MoMA (100% central share)started implementing in the state . 267 Muslims students and 773 Christian students were benefited so far.Target for 2009-10 is to benefit 4287 Minority students.
- Pre-Matric Scholarship to Minority Students under Ministry of MoMA (75 :25-Ccentral share: State share)started implementing in the state . 400 Muslim and 1560 Christian students were benefited so far. Target for 2009-10 is to benefit 12740 Minority students.
- Merit cum Means based Scholarship to Minority Students undergoing Professional and Technical course in Graduate and Post-Graduate courses under Ministry of MoMA (100%-Central share)started implementing in the state . 40 Muslims and 141 Christians students had benefited so far. Target for 2009-10 is to benefit 98 Minority students.
- Under Multi Sectoral Development Plan to Minority concentrated districts of Manipur an amount of Rs. 3011.78 lakhs was encashed to handed over to the 6(six) Minority concentrated districts of Manipur to implement various programmes/schemes which was prepared as per the factual needs of the districts. The programmes is continuing.
- Economic Dev. Prog.:-Under this programme 3086 OBC and 4348 Minority beneficiaries had been benefited in various trade/schemes like Embroidery, Poultry, Fishery, vegetable, Irrigation Pump etc. Target for 2009-10 Annual plan is to benefit 2360 OBC and 2965 Minority beneficiaries.
- Skill Development Programme :- Under this programme Training was provided to 380 OBC and 573 Minority trainees in trades like Carpentry, Tailoring , Embroidery, Paramedica etc. Target for 2009-10 is to benefit 115 OBC and 175 trainees in Crafts, Paramedical, Mobile repairing.
- Health :- Under this programme 263 OBC and 550 Minority patients were provided cash grants . Target for 2009-10 is to benefit 170 OBC and 220 Minority patients.